Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Little Bro

C.J. showing off some of his artwork.

As some of you may know, I have a little brother. His name is Christopher James, or C.J. for short. He is eleven years old, and he has Down syndrome. Down syndrome is an affliction where someone has an extra chromosome. This results in a bit of a slower learning pace and a little slower development. It may be thought of as a disability, but I've never really thought of it in that way. Having C.J. as my little brother has actually been incredible in so many ways.
Image courtesy of Calm Down Gifts

Here's a little background on him. He's had eleven surgeries. Yes, you read it right, eleven. One on his heart, one on his tonsils, and nine on his ears. He is a trooper! He always bonds with the nurses and doctors and is way more brave than I could ever be.
At his first surgery.
A later surgery.




















He went to the PC CoOp for preschool, to McPolin for first through fourth grade, to Trailside for fifth, and now he's at Ecker! I still can't believe he's in middle school. He's growing up too fast! He knows everyone in his grade, and whenever I see someone from school I'm usually asked, "Wait, are you C.J.'s sister?" I'm very proud to say yes every time. He's hilarious, crazy, and always happy. No matter if it's Monday morning getting ready for school, leaving for a trip at five in the morning, or at dinner, he's always super excited.

One thing a lot of people have asked me is, "Is it hard living with a special needs brother?" It really isn't. It's way more of a blessing than a curse. Even if I'm having the worst day of my life, he can make me laugh. If I have something wrong he will put all of his troubles aside to help me. He is an amazing role model to me. He's shown me how to laugh so hard I can't breath, to dance even when people are staring, how to dream the biggest possible, and especially how to live every day to the fullest. C.J. is an incredible kid who will never stop loving anyone, no matter what they do. I love you C.J.!!!!

1 comment: